Saturday, November 08, 2008

This comment comes from Violet's post at Reclusive Leftest. It struck a definite chord with me and says a lot about where we are on society's ladder of life. Have you ever experienced anything similar to this?


  1. Lisa, Gine, theOtherDelphyne, SKM, and Violet, thanks for your kind words. And thanks to Violet for such an excellent post which has provoked so many interesting and heart-felt comments.

    And Lisa, I loved your comment that “Sexism and misogyny are so covert, and so ubiquitous, that a woman can look crazy complaining about it. It is this trait that makes it so dangerous. How do you fight smoke?”

    I often feel that I “look crazy” when I talk about misogyny. Most of the time my friends and family are polite and wait ’til I finish, then conversation picks up where it left off before I spoke, as if I had committed some embarrassing social faux pas. My words seem to be swallowed up by some sort of voice-choking material– like smoke. It is …”crazy-making.” Not one of my close women friends really “believes in” misogyny. And that makes me feel crazy — as if I am inhabiting a reality no one else sees. It is very isolating. And so, I really appreciate this blog, because, here, I encounter others who affirm my perception of reality — which leads me to believe perhaps I am sane after all.

2 comments:

Anna Belle said...

A resounding YES! I feel this all the time. I have come to the conclusion that I don't care if people think I'm crazy. The crazy charge is a tool of patriarchy. We women have to fight the indoctrinated notion that we don't please people when they think we are crazy. Who the fuck cares if we please people? They'll never change until we hassle the crap out of them with our crazy ideas. We've got to wear them out while indoctrinating the next generation.

Thanks for the blog! Adding it to my blogroll now. Keep going.

freethinker said...

I just wanted to say that I just found your blog. I love it. Thanks so much for being here.

I'm going to pass your blog along!

freethinker
hillarysvillage.net