Monday, September 29, 2008

A FEMINIST VOTING REPUBLICAN

Dr. Lynette Long
I am voting for McCain-Palin and I am a feminist. Many feminists can’t understand my choice. I am not betraying the cause, the fight, the mission, because I don’t want to vote Democratic. The Democratic Party is not our ally. The Democratic Party is 60% women but it has only once selected a woman as a vice-presidential candidate and that was nearly a quarter of a century ago. We are chattel in our own party. The head of the Democratic National Committee has never been a woman. Money donated to the Women’s Leadership Fund is funneled into the Obama Victory Fund. We cannot give dominion over our bodies or ourselves to one party. Current feminist groups have no teeth because they are part and parcel of the Democratic Party. They are held hostage by Roe v. Wade. They know it and the Democratic Party knows it. The only way to regain our power is to regain our vote. The Democratic Party has no reason to earn our vote. We’ve sacrificed one choice for another.

I will by not be held hostage by the Democratic Party that turned a blind eye to the corruption in the Democratic primaries and Democratic caucuses.

I will not be held hostage by the Democratic Party that ignored a woman who got 18 million votes.

I will not be held hostage by the Democratic Party a party that was deaf, dumb and blind to the persistent and pervasive sexist attacks against Hillary Clinton.

I will not be held hostage by a Democratic Party that has never had a female head of the DNC.

I will not be threatened into submission. I will not cast my vote based on fear.

The Democratic Party cannot be rewarded for its pervasive disrespect of women. Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet. Sometimes you have to tear down a house before you can rebuild it. Most feminists think the Democratic Party will treat them differently during the next election. There is no next time. There is only this time. Reinforcing abuse only perpetuates abuse. In any abusive relationship, you have to leave to get respect. Abusers are often charming and apologetic and hold out the hope of better behavior. But there is no then, there is only now.

I am a woman and I am a feminist. To the other feminists out there I ask, “Where is your pride or are you a victim of your own misogyny?”

I am a woman and right now I am ashamed to say, I am a feminist.

No comments: