Saturday, April 05, 2008


From NPR, a subject dear to my heart - sexism in children's books and movies. I remember when raising my own daughters, Richard Scarry books were banned at my house. When reading to my daughters, I always changed the action figures from boys to girls. Looks like we haven't made much headway since the 1970's.

All Things Considered, I don't know what sins Dr. Seuss committed in his life to be doomed to have Jim Carrey star in movie adaptations of his books. But I came out of Horton Hears a Who, with my wife and my three excited and happy daughters, irritated by something even more annoying than Carrey's tics. In a new subplot added by the filmmakers, the mayor of Whoville has 96 daughters. He has one son. Guess who gets all his attention? Guess who saves the day? Go ahead, think about it, I'll wait.

No comments: